Make A Difference Teaching Chess in Africa During the Summer
July 11th – July 18th 2019
Cultural Immersion, Teaching the Game of Chess, Leadership Training, Gates of Kilimanjaro and Optional Safari
“Chess helps you concentrate, improve your logic. It teaches you to play by the rules and take responsibility for your actions, how to problem solve in an uncertain environment.” – Russian Chess Grandmaster, Garry Kasparov (many consider to be the greatest chess player of all times)
Join our Make A Difference staff and the CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master, in a cultural immersion leadership program to Tanzania, Africa. This trip is for chess players of all levels and ages who enjoy learning about other cultures and giving back.
DAY 1: Airport pickup and transfer to Make A Difference’s guesthouse in Moshi.
DAY 2: Orientation, preparation for chess training and tour of school
DAY 3: Culture day: Visit the gates of Kilimanjaro, learn about the Chagga culture and go on a short hike within a village
DAY 4: Intro to Swahili and afternoon teaching chess
DAY 5: Experience a day in the life of one of our youth within their villages while teaching chess
DAY 6: Morning Swahili review. More teaching.
DAY 7: Chess tournament and African sendoff by students. Orientation for safari.
Safari Add On:
DAY 8 -10: Experience Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangerie (lodging will be at hotels)
Cost of Trip
US $500 /per person (paid by February 1st) or US $750 (paid after February 1st) for your in country program (Prices contingent on 6 or more people).
Fundraising portion: All participants will raise a minimum of $1250. This money will be used to help us by them school supplies, three meals a day, lodging for the year and schooling. Most people setup fundraising pages to reach their fundraising goal. An example of a fundraising page from a volunteer coming over to Tanzania can be found by going to: Fundraising Page
- Three Meals a Day for Seven Days
- Accommodation at MAD’s guest house
- Staff: Guide, Swahili Teacher, Cook, and Driver
- CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master
- All transport (airport pickup and drop off) and daily transports
- Entrance fees for cultural excursions
- Scholarship fund
- Chess sets
Cost does not included:
- International airline travel
- Safari. The price of the safari is $950 extra for three days with hotel stay and airport drop off on last day. Our safari partner will bill you directly. This price is based on a minimum of 9 people.
Ready to secure your spot?
- First Move: Fill out the MAD Application Form and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Deposit: Pay for your deposit of $250 immediately in order to save your sport (Refundable only if within 24-hours after payment.)
- Final Move: Pay your remaining balance due on May 11th 2019.
- Read our Read Before You Go page
Note: All participants under 18 must have a guardian accompany them or a letter from their guardian stating it is okay for them to go on the trip alone.
Payments by check can be sent to:
Make A Difference 1775 W. State St. #329 Boise, ID 83702 USA
* Please include a note on all checks stating money is for MAD Chess Trip 2019.
Before you leave on your journey, purchase a bag, shirt or hat for your trip. Not only will these items come in handy on your trek, you’ll also be helping to educate a child! Shop and Make a Difference.
Without limitation, MAD is not responsible for any injury, damage, loss of property or delays during your stay. To ensure that your time with MAD is enjoyable and free from worries, MAD has made travel insurance compulsory for all programs and events. This must be purchased on your own.
Dates and fundraising minimums are subject to change. Please confirm with us before you purchase your flight.