Everest Base Camp and Kathmandu Trek for Education
October 9th-25th 2018
A 13 Day Trek in Nepal, 4 Nights in Kathmandu, and Make A Difference in the Lives of Children
Join MAD on a 17-Day grand adventure. The trek begins with a beautiful flight to Lukla, situated at 9,184ft. The trek passes through the picturesque Sherpa village of Namche Bazaar culminating in the “ascent” of Kala Patthar – 18,187ft – from where classic views of Everest and the surrounding peaks are available. Most of the trek is spent above altitudes of 9,842ft. Although this is a short trek, by Nepal standards, there will be plenty of time to enjoy the culture of the Sherpas, visit ancient monasteries and learn how Lamaistic Buddhism influences Sherpa life. We shall stop at any of the numerous teahouses, sip a glass of sweetened tea or Chang (millet beer) and get a taste of hospitality unique to the Sherpas. Beautiful, multi-hued prayer flags, prayer wheels and intricately carved mani stones line every hilltop, rock wall, and trail-side, singing prayers to the gods with every breeze and every passing traveler.
DAY 1: Arrive Kathmandu Airport, transfer, overnight hotel Tibet
DAY 2: Morning Kathmandu City Tour, afternoon meet with guide and prepare for trek, overnight hotel Tibet
DAYS 3-15: 13-Day Everest Base Camp Trek; lodging and breakfast provided at local tea houses
DAY 16: Free Day, overnight, Everest Summit Lodge, Lukla
DAY 17: Depart Kathmandu
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Operating costs to setup your climb
- 4 nights mid-range hotel in Kathmandu w/breakfast
- 12 nights trek accommodation in simple lodges w/ breakfast
- Trek leader (Sirdar/Sherpa) / porters
- English-speaking guides
- Necessary transfers for Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu flight
- One day tour of Kathmandu
- Most entrance fees
- Everest Conservation fees
- TIMS card
- International and domestic flights
- Kathmandu-Lukla Flight*
- Nepal entry visa*
- Lunches and dinners*
- Showers on trek*
- Personal hiking gear (sleeping bag, day pack, etc.)*
- Trek Tips*
- Other tips and personal expenses
*Noted expenses estimated in US$ include:
- Flight to Lukla ($415/person)
- Nepal entry visa ($40/day/person in newer US bills)
- Trek lunches & dinners ($12-15/day/person)
- Kathmandu lunches & dinners ($15-18/day/person)
- Trek showers ($3-5/day/person)
- Trek sleeping bag rental ($3-4/day/person)
- Trek tips ($10/day/person)
Cost of Climb and Tour
US$1995/person (price contingent on 6+ people) due by September 1st.
DISCOUNT: Get $50 off your remaining balance (per person) if you pay your deposit by August 31, 2017.
In addition to the cost of the trip, there is a suggested fundraising requirement of $1,000 and a minimum fundraising requirement of US $500 per person to help educate the vulnerable children MAD supports. This amount is due by September 1st.
An easy way to raise money for the children is by setting up a fundraising page. It’s a great way to spread the word that you are making a difference and keep track of your donations. Set up your fundraising page today at FirstGiving. Please note: MAD only issues tax receipts for money raised for the children but we cannot issue a receipt for money raised for your actual climb.
If you’ve climbed with Make A Difference before you may be eligible for a discount. Find out if you’re eligible for a Charity Climb Rewards
Requirements To Participate
• Fill out the MAD Application Form and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
• Be 18 years of age or have a guardian with you.
• Pay your deposit of $250 which goes towards your fundraising goal
• Pay your climb fee to our travel partner. We will have them bill you.
• Provide a letter from your doctor stating you are in good health.
• Provide a copy of your travel insurance policy.
All payments for your trek will be processed through our travel partner which specializes in Everest treks. They will bill you after you have filled out MAD’s application form and paid your $250 deposit towards your fundraising goal.
All money fundraised for the children will be handled by MAD. To pay the required amount needed for the children you may pay by check or online. By check please send payments to:
To ensure that your time with MAD is enjoyable and free from worries, MAD has made travel insurance compulsory for all programs and events. This must be purchased on your own. Without limitation, MAD is not responsible for any injury, damage, loss of property or delays during your stay.
Before you leave on your journey, please consider purchasing a MAD t-shirt, hat or bag and help educate a child.
Shop and Make a Difference.
Bring a friend and get $100 off your trip. Share this trip with others.
Get trip updates, connect with other hikers, and view pictures from past hikes on our social meeting page.